Swabi Birder & ZR Experience Birding Nirvana

With an apparent lack of birds seen along the Trails of the Margalla Hills National Park above Islamabad, possibly due to the unseasonably warm winter or the sheer number of visitors now using the footpaths; we decided to extend the search criteria for new species.

 

On 5 February 2021, ZR and I made an early morning start and headed towards Abbottabad along the new CPEC (China Pakistan Economic Corridor) and we reached our planned destination, a valley 20km north of Nathia Gali in about 70 minutes.

          

We started our birding along the stream winding its way through the valley wooded with pine trees. It didn’t take long before we heard the loud call of a Spotted Forktail (Enicurus maculatus). Once we located the chorister, I managed to take a photograph of this stunning bird. We noted many Green-backed Tits (Parus monticolus) and some Warblers that we didn’t see well enough for specific identification.

 

Spotted Forktail © Riaz

After walking for about 5km along the valley, I noticed a number of birds flying to one specific point. We approached carefully to what was an area near to where a small tributary joined the main stream. When Islbirder was in Pakistan he found six Orange Bullfinches near to Nathia Gali. Since then, he challenged me to photograph this iconic species. Every time I visited that place my promise to my best buddy islbirder to photograph Orange Bullfinch was in my mind. Today was my lucky day; I setup my camera and waited for the birds to return. ZR called out Bullfinch to me and in almost disbelief a female and two male Orange Bullfinches (Pyrrhula aurantiaca) appeared. As my camera shutter clicked, I had achieved a ‘Lifer’ and fulfilled a promise to photograph this, almost, mythical species. 

 

Orange Bullfinch female © Riaz
 
Orange Bullfinch male © Riaz

Orange Bullfinch group © Riaz

          

The habitat was amazingly attractive for birds and I managed a second ‘Lifer’ Eurasian Goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis caniceps). Some taxonomic authorities class this bird as a separate species calling it Grey-headed Goldfinch; it appears very different to a regular Eurasian Goldfinch.

 

Eurasian Goldfinch caniceps © Riaz

The valley was very productive in respect of the diversity of species and we managed to find: Himalayan Bluetail (Tarsiger rufilatus), now taxonomically spilt from Orange-flanked Bush Robin, a male Plumbeous Water Redstart (Rhyacornis fuliginosus), White-capped Water Restart (Chaimarrornis leucocephalus), Rock Bunting (Emberiza cia) and what is believed to be a female White-browed Rosefinch (Carpodacus thura).


Himalayan Bluetail © Riaz

Plumbeous Water Redstart male © Riaz


Whether global warming is taking effect, or the overcrowding of the Margalla Hills National Park is reducing the numbers of birds over-wintering in the area is yet to be proven. I have been monitoring the situation over many years and despite my efforts and those of others, the situation is deteriorating for Pakistan’s wildlife which makes me very sad.


White-capped Water Redstart © Riaz


Rock Bunting © Riaz


White-browed Rosefinch © Riaz



Popular posts from this blog

Rare Birds Found in Pakistan

The Breeding Season in the Margalla Hills & a Trip to Shogran

Kalar Kahar 62 Species