Nathia Gali in Search of the Orange Bullfinch


It was during April 2013, when Islbirder and me (RMK) made a visit to Nathia Gali, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa to try to find and photograph the enigmatic Orange Bullfinch (Islbider had found four Orange Bullfinches there in April 2011 feeding amongst the patches of remaining snow). Although we spent a lovely day there, we failed to relocate these stunning birds.

Snow-clad Mountains of Kashmir Riaz
Islbirder had requested that I try to photograph an Orange Bullfinch during April 2014 after he had left Pakistan. I have a good habit of keeping important things in mind and when it comes to birds, I simply can’t forget. I left Islamabad at 0600 hours and followed the old Murree road to make it a relatively quick drive up to the rarified atmosphere of Nathia gali. The Kashmir Mountains were still covered in snow and presented a beautiful view. I stopped to photograph this incredible vista and saw a local Pashtun guy with a captive Northern Goshawk. Northern Goshawk is a rare vagrant to the north of Pakistan and we don’t like to see such beautiful birds tethered; much better to see them flying free. However, this tribesman cut an impressive figure with the backdrop of the Kashmir Mountains.

Pashtun Tribesman with Northern Goshawk Riaz
On the way I could hear the melodious sounds of Warblers that indicated springtime was creeping up the mountains but I didn’t stop and reached Nathia Gali by 0730 hours. I immediately started my search for the Orange Bullfinch and spent almost an hour in the area we visited last year.  Sorry Mate! I tried hard but didn’t find this elusive bird. I promise you that I will search the area next year, if all is well (InshAllah).

Although I dipped the Bullfinch, I did find some special birds that I can share with you:

 
Black-throated Tit Riaz
Himalayan Treecreer Riaz
This HIMALAYAN TREECREEPER displaying why it is also know as BAR-TAILED TREECREEPER.

Himalayan Treecreeper Riaz
No, not a Wallcreeper but a Himalayan Treecreeper with a Butterfly! Riaz
What a stunner! A Western Crowned Warbler Riaz
Rufous-breasted Accentor Riaz
What a Mega! Male Ultramarine Flycatcher Riaz
Female Ultramarine Flycatcher Riaz
Male Rock Bunting Riaz
Spot-winged Tit Riaz
Female Scaly-bellied Woodpecker Riaz
During my return journey I paid a visit to see my old and famous Rawal Lake. It was day for kite flying and LOVE (never give it to the wrong people) was in the air, and I caught this red kite, one with hearts. Makes a change from all the Black Kites!

Red Kite Riaz

Displaying Male Asian Magpie Robin Riaz
Common Rosefinch Riaz
Asian Paradise Flycatcher Riaz



The rare & secretive Brown Crake Riaz
Another Male Purple Sunbird Riaz
Female Purple Sunbird Riaz
Rose-ringed Parakeet Riaz
Taiga Flycatchers Riaz
Punk Bulbul! Riaz
This Himalayan Bulbul has been dyed in captivity & escaped Riaz
Common Kestrel Riaz
The temperature in Islamabad is rising and I will remember another promise with you MY FRIEND, to find an Indian Pitta for you. Wish me luck!

I do wish you luck my Friend. Many congratulations on the fabulous collection of photographs. As you know, I am hugely jealous of your record of the extremely rare and secretive BROWN CRAKE. I searched for three long years trying to find this species without success. There are old records from the 1980s but now, thanks to you, we know they are still in the vicinity of Rawal Lake. To find an Indian Pitta (something I also failed to do) you will need to be up early any time now amongst the more thickly vegetated areas of the Margalla Hills and listen out for that distinctive call. Islbirder




Popular posts from this blog

Rare Birds Found in Pakistan

Kalar Kahar 62 Species

The Breeding Season in the Margalla Hills & a Trip to Shogran