First Bird Photography Trip of the New Season


We are extremely sorry for not keeping you updated lately about the Birds of Islamabad particularly and Pakistan in general. Sometimes it’s very difficult to fill in the gap, I am sure you would know what I am referring to, Islbirder J. On the other hand I (RMK) have been terribly busy for the last few months.  Anyway let’s not make more excuses for not writing the Blog and I will write about my recent visit to the Margalla Hills, Lake View Park and our favourite marshy area just outside Islamabad.

Speckled Piculet Riaz
After a long summer break autumn is around the corner and on 26 October 2014, I picked up my gear early in the morning and headed straight to the woodland in one of the beautiful valleys of Margalla Hills. I believed that altitudinal migrants must have started coming down from the northern mountains of Himalayas; birds must be in the Murre hills area by now. The drive to the woodland was very similar to our previous visits, a bit of excitement as it was after a long time that I came to this area.

A Margalla Hills Yellow-billed Blue Magpie Riaz
I was welcomed by the lovely sounds of birds, which was encouraging and my eyes were attracted by YELLOW-BILLED BLUE MAGPIE, GREY TREEPIEs and BLACK-THROATED JAYs flying in the area. I had a short time with them and moved straight to the point, where I believed I would see more birds.
 
Bar-tailed Treecreeper Riaz
The migrants were not yet in the area, perhaps not surprising as Islamabad and the Margalla Hills are still experiencing warm daytime temperatures. The birds I noticed were, BLACK BULBUL, HIMALAYAN BULBUL, BAR-TAILED TREECREEPER, a variety of warblers, VARIEGATED LAUGHINGTHRUSH, WHITE-THROATED FANTAIL,  STREAKED LAUGHINGTHRUSH, SPECKLED PICULET, WHITE WAGTAIL, SCALY-BREASTED MUNIA and some local HOUSE SPARROWS. I believe that as the temperature drops in the mountains, birds will start flying down. I stayed there for two hours and then packed up and drove straight to Lake View Park and our marsh area.

White-throated Fantail Riaz
Grey Treepie Riaz
It was almost 1030 hours by the time I reached Lake View Park and I roamed around the lake area almost the whole day to establish the bird situation. Surprisingly I noticed that some birds had started arriving. I noticed few MALLARD landing near by, sorry I couldn’t get a clear shot of that, a few INDIAN SILVERBILL, a pair of RED AVADAVAT. With the flock of COMMON MYNA I noticed a BRAHMINY STARLING. BLACK-HEADED GULLs were flying over the water.

Male Red Avadavat Riaz
 
Female Red Avadavat Riaz
I also noticed a group of SCALY-BREASTED MUNIAs, a BLACK-SHOULDERED KITE on a wire, some LITTLE CORMORANT and a few gorgeous ZITTING CISTICOLA. There were several PADDYFIELD PIPITs and three species of Kingfisher, Pied, White-throated and Common, were busy hunting for fish.

Brahminy Starling Riaz
Common Chiffchaff Riaz
Late in the evening I asked Mrs RMK to accompany me for a walk to Trail 5, to check on the birds there. A friend, Derek, reported that he has seen some lovely birds there. I started looking for birds during my climb, but was really sorry that Trial 5 was flooded with people and chances of seeing birds are so rare, when you have so many people, playing songs, making BBQs and taking baths in the Kalij Pheasant waterfall. 

A Little Cormorant chasing a Little Egret Riaz
I was determined to find something to write about. Mrs RMK has also been complaining about the huge crowds and feeling sorry for the birds. All we could see were few RUFOUS TREEPIEs, a RUSTY-CHEEKED SCIMITAR BABBLER, JUNGLE BABBLER, a BLACK-CHINNED BABBLER and some warblers.

Indian Silverbill Riaz
Rufous Treepie Riaz
It was our first trip of the season to almost all of the local places that we have been birding over the years and have seen some lovely birds. I feel that now I have to expand my search as there are people every year along these places.  This does make me worry folks that humans don’t share their places with animals and birds rather they are overtaking the places which were for the wildlife.

Pied Kingfisher at Rawal Lake Riaz
Zitting Cisticola Riaz
With a smiling note, I am wishing you happy birding and a bird photography season ahead and believe that I will try my best to share some new birds around Islamabad particularly and Pakistan in general.

From Islbirder: Thanks RMK a great write-up of your first birding trip of the season. There are some lovely photographs here but I am especially impressed with your shot of the Speckled Piculet. These diminutive woodpeckers are usually hidden in the leaves or are at the end of tiny twigs in the tree canopy. I am really looking forward to your shots of winter birds. I saw Derek’s photos of the Thick-billed Flowerpecker. It was a species I did not manage to catch up with during my three years in Pakistan, so good work Derek!

RMK I am hoping that the OBC will be publishing your latest ‘First for Pakistan’ in the next edition of Forktail, that fantastic Rufous-gorgeted Flycatcher highlighted in our previous Blog entry.

Popular posts from this blog

Rare Birds Found in Pakistan

The Breeding Season in the Margalla Hills & a Trip to Shogran

Kalar Kahar 62 Species